Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Foraged Food Thread

I appreciate it @kansasdad. I enjoyed doing this and question why I waited so long to start. Next years berry season is gonna be a busy one. Question for you does freezing fruit to make jelly later in the year affect its flavor?

For our sandplums, we boil and pulp the fruit within 2 days of harvest, with the fruit being stored on ice or in the frig to retard mold growth on the super ripe fruits. Mrs kansasdad then freezes the pulp in gallon sized ziplock bags for future canning days. She has gone more than a year in this frozen state before canning with no apparent problems.

She does the same for peach jam, and chokecherry jam as well. I sure wish we had chokecherry in Kansas. That is my favorite syrup for pancakes and waffles.

I appreciate that heads up. There are still muscadines to be had. I'm gonna pick as many as I can and freeze em for later

20220810_185703.jpgfound some large muscadine grapes today. The ones on the left are what I'd consider normal size grapes. It's feesable the one on the right is an old cultivated variety that grew away from an old homestead but I have no way of proving it.

I changed the title of the thread to be non-year specific.

Anyone seeing morels in MT yet? Figure they might be happening with the warm temps we’ve been having.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back