Foraged Food Thread

I’ve found a whopping TWO morels this year. They were delicious though.

Found this stash of what I think are oyster mushrooms in the Bitteroots after work today. Anyone who knows have a positive identification for me? Insofar as I can tell, they’re not one of the three or so poisonous mushrooms that vaguely resemble oysters.
27F977B9-CCF1-42FD-AE5A-97FC0ABEAB41.jpeg6C21A9B7-AEAF-4D80-8DEE-AF9E32CB6196.jpeg
F2869F6F-E4F4-41D5-85A9-46510646E7E7.jpeg

1654168791290.jpeg
I found this crowned coral mushroom the last time I went out looking for morels. There were golden oysters everywhere but I only found 1 morel. I found around 2-3 lbs for the season. Slow spring.

Found this stash of what I think are oyster mushrooms in the Bitteroots after work today. Anyone who knows have a positive identification for me? Insofar as I can tell, they’re not one of the three or so poisonous mushrooms that vaguely resemble oysters.
View attachment 224455View attachment 224456
View attachment 224457
Definitely oyster mushrooms. I found my first this year on a willow tree in my yard. They are delicious.

View attachment 224455View attachment 224456
View attachment 224457
Defiantly Oysters, but it looks like the worms have gotten to them pretty bad. If they're not excessively wormy I eat them worms and all, but some people don't seem to like the idea of eating little worms. A friend of mine and I told the guy we sold morels to that we knew where we could get him a hundred pounds of oyster mushrooms if he wanted them. He said he would give us $2.00 a pound so we brought him 85 pounds. He later told us that by the time they got to his guy in San Fransisco the worms had decimated them, and he would never buy them from us again.

Defiantly Oysters, but it looks like the worms have gotten to them pretty bad. If they're not excessively wormy I eat them worms and all, but some people don't seem to like the idea of eating little worms. A friend of mine and I told the guy we sold morels to that we knew where we could get him a hundred pounds of oyster mushrooms if he wanted them. He said he would give us $2.00 a pound so we brought him 85 pounds. He later told us that by the time they got to his guy in San Fransisco the worms had decimated them, and he would never buy them from us again.
Are you talking about that spongy area?

Just had some in an omelette. Didn’t see any worms, but if they were there they tasted fine!

126A355B-3450-4526-A75E-FD1CB462BAEB.jpeg

Are you talking about that spongy area?

Just had some in an omelette. Didn’t see any worms, but if they were there they tasted fine!

View attachment 224507
Yup, all those holes are worm holes. They are the larva of a little tiny beetle. I like to make a soup out of oyster mushrooms but all those tiny little worms float to the top so I have to skim them off before serving it to guests. Other than that I just eat them.

Yup, all those holes are worm holes. They are the larva of a little tiny beetle. I like to make a soup out of oyster mushrooms but all those tiny little worms float to the top so I have to skim them off before serving it to guests. Other than that I just eat them.
I can certainly see the difference compared to come of the smaller ones I got. Thanks for the heads up. Larva soup until my next outing!

What areas would I find ramps in? I live in WV and I hunt mushrooms often but never have had any luck finding ramps.
Ramps are probably done for the year. I usually find them in mature forests with sparse understory. Steep hills seem to be good and it doesn’t matter which side of the hill. There are several lookalikes so give them the sniff test. If it smells like potent garlic you are in business. If on public property only cut the stems, do not dig the bulbs. Over harvest is a concern with ramps.

With all the rain lately, I found a spot that felt like it would be good for them. Just a little sun and I figure they'll start to pop!
This was around 3k feet Memorial Day weekend. Was pretty wet that weekend.

I’ll be danged if morels aren’t still abundant with all this rain we’ve had. Yesterday was my first time getting into what I’d call a “haul.” We could’ve filled up a dump truck if we’d wanted to put in the effort. I’m a happy camper.

Attachments

• CD8AE186-C7BE-4D43-9FD3-90F5FFB288EB.jpeg
    CD8AE186-C7BE-4D43-9FD3-90F5FFB288EB.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 54F82F41-84ED-46C7-A46C-DDB3A1C137B8.jpeg
    54F82F41-84ED-46C7-A46C-DDB3A1C137B8.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 3164DDF6-713E-49ED-BC08-3B71C7C39CE8.jpeg
    3164DDF6-713E-49ED-BC08-3B71C7C39CE8.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts