Caribou Gear

2020 Texas controlled hunts

"Luck" being the operative term here. The draw odds for the Texas public hunts are pretty horrific. I'm from Texas and can't for the life of me understand why we don't do a resident/non-resident draw like every other state. I mean, there are very few tags to go around anyway because of the lack of public land, but still.

(It also really irks me that landowners get bighorn tags each year but they only make one available in the draw...)

Non-resident and in about 15 years have drawn exotics once, alligator once (hurricane cancelled that hunt) and turkey once. I hunted pronghorn on a landowner tag and hunted doves on that same property that hunt. That is all my activity in TX in the last 20 years except flying in/out/through for business and one wedding we attended. Enjoy your state and appreciate the draw opportunity!

Don’t get me wrong, LopeHunter. I apply for a ton every year because it’s cheap to do so. But I still reserve the right to wish for a better system, one that acknowledges a distinction between residents and non-residents. You’ll never hear me complain about non-resident allocations in states I don’t live in.

I'd like to see Texas do what so many other states have done, either require a hunting license to be bought before non-residents can apply, though this would require alot of retooling of the current licensing system, or simply to charge non residents a higher application fee. Then this increased revenue could be put back in to creating more public opportunity. Just my .02 cents.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back