2020 Dates to Archery Hunt in Colorado

goodhunt

After an unsuccessful app season, like many people I'm on to backup plans. It's looking like Colorado OTC archery for me and I'd appreciate some advice from the members on this forum. I'll be hunting in a unit I'm relatively familiar with but have never hunted during archery season. If it's anything like OTC rifle season I expect it to be pretty crowded. As a nonresident, if you could only take one week off to hunt archery elk in Colorado this year, which week would it be? Right now I'm leaning toward the 4th week (9/20 to 9/26) in the hopes of having a little less pressure after muzzle loader season. On the other hand, that 3rd week is looking pretty good (For archery I usually like to get out a little before peak rut and the moon phase is going to be awesome this year). What do you guys think, deal with the increased pressure/muzzy hunters that 3rd week, slip in after it calms down a little bit in the 4th week or some other strategy entirely? Thanks in advance for the help!

Welcome aboard! I would avoid opening day, and weekends. Lots and lots of hunters. I think you have a good idea trying the 3rd and 4th weekends. Although the bulls tend to be quieter due to the pressure.

The dates are tough in CO for the next few years. I would probably hunt that last week.

I think both weeks should be good. I’ve never noticed much pressure from muzzleloader season other then 4 wheelers going up and down the forest roads.

Welcome aboard! I would avoid opening day, and weekends. Lots and lots of hunters. I think you have a good idea trying the 3rd and 4th weekends. Although the bulls tend to be quieter due to the pressure.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm a long time "lurker" and have read a lot of good info on here. I've been having a terrible time deciding on this and my boss is wanting vacation plans submitted. I figured it was worth a shot to get some other opinions. Your perspective is exactly what keeps me bouncing back and forth: less human pressure or more active calling. I like to call (I'm no Corey Jacobson but I'm no slouch). At the end of the day I probably won't know whether I made the right decision either way unless I go out on the 4th week and bump in to somebody who tells me the bulls were going crazy the week before. Definitely wouldn't be the first time that happened :).

I think both weeks should be good. I’ve never noticed much pressure from muzzleloader season other then 4 wheelers going up and down the forest roads.

Nice! In the past I've just avoided it altogether, which is why I asked the question. Was curious if anybody had hunted both and came out with a strong opinion either way. You're probably right that the small number of muzzy tags won't add much more to the pressure though. I usually see more horse traffic where I am going so maybe that would help as well.

just curious why the dates are tough? You have all of September...

I'm guessing he's referencing the timing of the muzzy season relative to peak rut and the moon phase. Definitely not as appealing as it's been the last few years in my opinion. It's a little harder for us Midwest guys who are limited on time to narrow down just one week. If only I could get the wife to take the plunge and just move....

Thanks for the great feedback all. I've got until the end of this week to mull it around.

just curious why the dates are tough? You have all of September...
Right when the rut is beginning the woods fill up with muzz hunters. I know muzz pressure varies from unit to unit, but in the unit I have hunted there is a very significant increase in hunting pressure when muzz season starts.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back