Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2019 Wyoming Elk

805Bowhunter

Thoughts on what will happen this year with amount of points it will take to draw the general? 2pp was a slam dunk in the regular draw in years prior, looking back at the data it looks like only 58% of apps with 2pp were taken last year in the regular. Think it will level off at all or will 3 to 4 points be the new norm for the general tag in the regular draw?

I don't think it will change much in 2019 but what will be really interesting to see is how the later May 31 application deadline in 2020 will affect the numbers.

Thats right. I forgot about the date change. I think it will have a fairly substantial impact as a lot of us look at Wyo as a good way to dictate the rest of the year. I know it will certainly make me look at my application season differently.

How many people had 2pts last year? Multiply that by .47. That tells you how many of THOSE people wil have 3pts. How many had 3pts last year? Compare it to your “prediction” for this year. Now you know how many tags will be left for people with 2pts. Compare that to last year’s odds. Some people with 3pts will apply elsewhere this year. Other people with 3+pts will decide to go general. You will however had an idea.

Point creep is fairly predictable and puts do not increase the frequency of drawing a tag. If 100 people apply for 1 tag in a random draw it is only likely for a person to draw about once per 100 years.

In a preference point system it basically insures that everyone will only draw once per 100years, and after the first few years anyone entering the draw knows that it will take them 100years because they are at the back of the line.

Bonus points just make it more likely for you draw the longer it has been since you drew last. The result is that the first people in line are more likely to draw sooner, and the people at the back are more likely to wait the full 100 years, but because you MIGHT get EXTREMELY lucky, it encourages you to go ahead and get in line, while with preference points, if you weren’t there the first year or so, you’ll never get enough points to draw a good unit.

I expect apps to increase in 2019 but not by as much as in 2018. I think people burning their points and getting out of the game attributed to a portion of the app increases in 2018. If apps increase by the same percentage in 2019 as in 2018, 2 points will still be enough to have a shot at a general tag. I think it will be a few years before 3 points become necessary. I expect app number increases to also slow down in 2020, when the draw date is moved forward. That'll stall point creep for a year or two IMO.

Some quick number crunching for a general unit archery elk hunt:

Special tag price = $1268
Application fee = $15
Conservation stamp = $12.50
Archery stamp = $72

Subtotal = $1367.50
CC fee = $34.19 (calculated at 2.5%)

Total = $1401.69

Application fee = $15
Archery stamp = $72

Subtotal = $1367.50

Total = $1401.69

Uff da! I'm glad I'm a resident.

The number of people with elk points has increased by about 30,000 in the last 3 years. That's according to the Game and Fish. And I'm sure it'll continue to increase.

Who knows, in 10 years, it might take 5-7+ points in the regular draw to get a general tag.

I'm in Pennsylvania, so of the 30,000 people that put in for the elk lottery, 126 are chosen.
My odds of ever being able to elk hunt here in my lifetime are slim to none.

And oddly an elk humt is one of the most wanted things to do before i die. So i'm trying to plan on going west.
While i'm trying to talk my wife into moving to Wyoming, (won't happen this year i'm sure) i was wanting to vacation/hunt there. I understand that elk and antelope are in at the same time.

I watched Randy explain the draw system out there, but still as confused as ever. What are the odds for non resident for the first year of getting a draw?
Special tag is out! No way i could afford that!

Ok, looks like i'm better off paying the $500 for an over the counter tag in Colorado.
Till i'm an actual resident that is.

Application fee = $15
Archery stamp = $72

Subtotal = $1367.50

Total = $1401.69

They will sell all of their elk tags again this year. The sad reality is, they are pricing more regular Americans out of the game every year.

They will sell all of their elk tags again this year. The sad reality is, they are pricing more regular Americans out of the game every year.

The special fee is not necessary to draw an elk tag, and for the record, "they" are not the G&F Department. The legislature is responsible for the fee increases, and the special/regular fee schedule was also passed by the legislature via the Wyoming Outfitters and Guides Association.

Buzz, We all know You are Mr know it all , but We all normal Americans in every state call it Game & Fish.....LOL.....BOB!

I believe BuzzH's comment was to point out that it is the elected representatives (House/Senate of Wyoming) that have set the fee schedule and instigated the two tiered tag allocation, and not the G&F department. He also theorizes that the two tiered tag allocation scheme was done so due to, and enabled by WOGA.

Having watched the Commission meeting where it was mentioned WYOGA had approved moving the nr Elk draw, I'd say his theories regarding that org and their clout are pretty close to spot on.

Having watched the Commission meeting where it was mentioned WYOGA had approved moving the nr Elk draw, I'd say his theories regarding that org and their clout are pretty close to spot on.

WYOGA and large ranches are the major influences on policy n Wyoming, that has been made abundantly clear the last few years.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back