2 man tent

JamesM

Going on an elk hunt Oct 19-27 in Colorado, any recomendations on a good tent?

What elevation? Might be t-shirt weather or could be blowing snow in CO depending somewhat the elevation and somewhat the mood of the gods.

Backpacking in deep on your back? Using horses? Camping at trailhead next to truck? Plan on moving spots if do not see elk after a day or two?

There are a probably a hundred great backpacking shelters out there capable thru the fall. Some popular top picks are BA Copper Spur, MSR Hubba, and Hilleberg Nallo. My all time fave is the Hilleberg Allak. Depends a lot on your budget and what you'll be asking it, and yourself, to do.

What elevation? Might be t-shirt weather or could be blowing snow in CO depending somewhat the elevation and somewhat the mood of the gods.

Backpacking in deep on your back? Using horses? Camping at trailhead next to truck? Plan on moving spots if do not see elk after a day or two?
Ill be perfectly honest with you, Its my first time hunting out west and Im not quite certain what route im going. However Id like to be prepared for all of what you listed in your reply. Tho no horses, I will be on foot. Hunting unit 007, Rawah wildernes area.

There are a probably a hundred great backpacking shelters out there capable thru the fall. Some popular top picks are BA Copper Spur, MSR Hubba, and Hilleberg Nallo. My all time fave is the Hilleberg Allak. Depends a lot on your budget and what you'll be asking it, and yourself, to do.
Thank you! I will check them out, thanks again.

My experience is with Hilleberg you should get 3-man for 2 people or the 2-man for yourself. I have the Nallo 3 with vestibule and is fine for wife to tag along and a dang palace when is just me. Weight is about nothing. I would be hesitant to use at trailhead though as might disappear.

I'm happy to save the weight on a backpack hunt and put two in a two man, or even 2 in a 24-27 sq ft "1.5". For an easy pack in or frontcountry it's obviously a different story. The difference between 75 and 80 lbs is about nothing, the difference between 115 and 120 matters in my experience. ymmv

I am going to throw one out there because it has been a pleasant surprise for me. I ordered a river country products trekker 2 tent off amazon this spring for 50 bucks (give or take one or 2) I have only used it 5 times this summer, 3 on backpack trips. but did have it through rain and 20 mph wind. I bought figuring that it would be something I could put my kids in camping in our yard that was easy to set up. After using it I really don’t think a tent is high on my upgrade list. It is not quite what the more expensive ones are and I do miss not having a vestibule but it packs well, sets up quick and keeps me dry. It would be snug for two guys, but my wife and I are quite comfortable. I feel it is a decent budget option.

I second the idea of getting a 3 man tent. The weight difference is pretty minimal, and if you get stuck in a storm, you'll be super thankful for the extra space. If you're not doing more than spending 8 hours zzz time in there, not a big deal to be tight with your partner, but I'd almost always opt for the extra ounces on my back in exchange for having a roomier set up at night.

I will agree with the Big Agnes, and I was absolutely miserable using a 2 man tent. I have since went to 4. For an extra minimal weight, that only lasts for the pack in/out, the pros outweigh the cons. And I am all about lightweight too, but comfort during the night is more important to me! But that's just my personal opinion.

I’ll be doing a cow elk hunt in Colorado 2nd rifle as well. Unit 15, backpacking in, leaning towards the Nemo hornet but I can’t make up my mind 🤷‍♂️ Hard to invest money when reviews can be so mixed. But it is definitely light weight and a roomy 2p just extra space for gear is nice and only 2lb 4 oz

I have and old-school tadpole North face tent that fits me fine for just myself.
I picked up a three person Stormbreak North face tent a year or two back and that works great for two people and I've packed it for myself as well.

***A good vestibule is a valuable aspect for backcountry camping with weather bordering three and four season.

I find when a tent says two people it's fit for one and so forth.

I really like the looks of this one, and will probably upgrade my warranty return if they will let me.

Tarp tent stratospire. I even put a wood stove in mine. Not a lot of use yet but I will his fall in Alaska and Montana back pack hunts. I’ll report more back then. Total package with stove is sub 6lbs. Also I went with this so I could have an inner tent liner and still run a stove at the same time. Best of both worlds with floorless and not.

Attachments

• C5564F98-5AE2-4676-92F3-431C283DE8B8.jpeg
    C5564F98-5AE2-4676-92F3-431C283DE8B8.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 06F9AE5E-3A6B-4A7B-B999-49423C465E67.jpeg
    06F9AE5E-3A6B-4A7B-B999-49423C465E67.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member