MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

1st Season Colorado Weather

mrklean

I know it can really vary but 1 season is usually the second week of October in Colorado what kind of weather can you expect, do you need to worry about snow storms and bringing snow chains? Would a 3 seasons tent work or will i freeze in it, starting some prep and wondering if i should even look at a first season or stick with a archery/muzzy option.

I have hunted that season a handful of times. Yes, it's typical to say it varies, but it really does during 1st. Probably more than any other. This year was balmy with beautiful weather. Actually a little uncomfortable at times. Lots of flies when working on an elk, and I was over 10k'. Still cool in the evenings, but nothing serious in the way of gear required. Three seasons ago we got 9" of snow and temps were in the mid teens at night. The hike in was very cold and wet. No chains required where I was, but the passes were very bad. It was that year that completely sold me on my tipi tent with a Ti stove. I'll never go without, period! I was very cold and wet one night and within minutes of getting the tent setup and the stove lit I was toasty and drying off. It would have been exceedingly miserable without. My sleeping bag is a 15deg, and I'd not take a lesser bag during 1st rifle. The elevation you intend to camp could influence that though. I always have gators to keep my lower pants dry whether it's snow, rain or dew on the grass. My boots are uninsulated, and they did ok in the worst of weather. Great for most years. Food for thought.

It varies so much. First season can be anything from hot and dry, to a foot of snow in a day. I would guess that most years over 7,000 feet there is atleast one day of snow. I think this year was an exception of just hot and dry during the days.

There's a reason we all say it depends. It really does depend. It's better to be prepared for anything.

I've seen it snow in Aug if that helps understand how unpredictable high country weather is.

To put it more simply, I pack for highs up to mid-60s, lows of 10-15, heavy rain and up to about a foot of snow. I have seen all of these conditions during 1st rifle. Think about how you'll hunt, cook, sleep and pack in and out in these conditions. Pack accordingly.

Prepare for anything. Bring the snow chains. I think you should be fine with the tent, as long as you have a good sleeping bag. We always prepare for anything and take way too much stuff, but the only downside is having more gear in the truck.

I've hunted anywhere from an 8* whiteout to 80* and sunny during September archery season in Colorado, and the odds of weird/variable weather happening in October are even higher...

As mentioned above it is likely best to prepare for the worse...if it's nice then you will have it covered. It also "depends" on where you intend on hunting. The chance for deep snow may not be as high in lower elevations compared to the high alpine country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back