Yeti GOBOX Collection

10 year plan??

tgall23

I live out east, but have dreamed of going out west to hunt elk for a while. Due to young kids that may not happen anytime soon, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on buying bonus or preference points? It may be 5 to 10 years before I get to go, but i was thinking about buying points now so when i am able to go my odds of drawing a better tag are improved. I am open to any state.

I'm going to assume your intent is public land diy. If you're going guided, very little point in applying for points anywhere.

It will depend on what you are looking for out of the hunt but if you want a lot of options for when the time comes, I'd recommend getting the point each year for both Wyoming and Colorado. Wyoming with 5 elk points unlocks most of the non trophy areas meaning you would be able to get a tag with an ample amount of public land to explore. Colorado has a lot of units that take just a few points (although that is changing very quickly with the nasty little devil called point creep) and these units are generally a much better experience than the over the counter units. Plus, word on the street is these over the counter units are going to disappear at a quick rate and head to draw, a few already have.

I live out east, but have dreamed of going out west to hunt elk for a while. Due to young kids that may not happen anytime soon, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on buying bonus or preference points? It may be 5 to 10 years before I get to go, but i was thinking about buying points now so when i am able to go my odds of drawing a better tag are improved. I am open to any state.

Just go.

Wyoming is the only state that’s worth it IMHO.
In CO you need like 8 to make a difference and more than ~12 doesn’t really help you. I wouldn’t waste money on CO points.
Utah, don’t bother
Montana, just get a pref point before the draw
I’m not sure about AZ or NV.

Thank you for the quick responses. This will definitely help me narrow down my research. I was planning on doing a DIY hunt for what its worth.

I can tell you about my strategy. I live in AZ and apply here every year. It will take you at least 8 BP to give you good odds at even basic entry level hunts. With point creep over 10 years that will likely be 13+. But AZ is fairly cheap by western hunting standards; $160 license and $15 application fee per species. By the time you buy the license you might as well throw in an extra $15 to get a point for deer too. The good thing about AZ is that only 20% of the tags are given to top point holders and the other 80% are random so even though odds are low, you have a chance at drawing almost any hunt.

Wyoming is $60 for an elk point. No license required. Their point requirements are pretty low for some decent hunts (even their general tag is better than most hunts). Word is they are going to reduce the NR allotment of tags in the future but with 10 years to build points you’d still be in good shape with only a $60/yr investment.

ID has no point system. So that’s my go to fall back plan and I only apply for a hint when I actually want to go hunting. Or their general licenses are OTC, but are capped. So you need to buy them early.

I call this my 3 prong approach:
Short term = Idaho
Medium term = Wyoming
Long Term = Arizona

I chose Wyoming to focus on when I jumped into the Western game a couple years ago. The more I look at point systems, the more I'm convinced to pretty much let Wyoming be the only points game I continue to play. Otherwise, I'm just going to look at Idaho, Colorado [mainly as a back-up OTC option], and New Mexico. That might be short-sighted, but that's where my head is. Also, a significant part of my plan is to hunt cow tags to up my experience on the mountain.

I chose Wyoming to focus on when I jumped into the Western game a couple years ago. The more I look at point systems, the more I'm convinced to pretty much let Wyoming be the only points game I continue to play. Otherwise, I'm just going to look at Idaho, Colorado [mainly as a back-up OTC option], and New Mexico. That might be short-sighted, but that's where my head is. Also, a significant part of my plan is to hunt cow tags to up my experience on the mountain.
This is going to sound ridiculous... I am assuming cow tags are pretty easy to come by in most states?? (let the eye-rolling begin). Clearly, by my last comment, I know very little about western hunting but it seems like going on after cow elk would be good experience with less pressure...

Cow tags are typically easier, but that’s changing pretty quickly right now. One only needs to compare the Wyoming leftover lists from 3-4 years ago to the current list. If you want a good cow tag, I’d probably be looking at options right now and planning for it.

This is going to sound ridiculous... I am assuming cow tags are pretty easy to come by in most states?? (let the eye-rolling begin). Clearly, by my last comment, I know very little about western hunting but it seems like going on after cow elk would be good experience with less pressure...
Easier, yes. But not easy. One advantage is that you aren't dealing with points, so you always have a shot at drawing them, no matter how small that chance may be. But as NoWiser said, the odds keep getting more and more difficult.

I can tell you about my strategy. I live in AZ and apply here every year. It will take you at least 8 BP to give you good odds at even basic entry level hunts. With point creep over 10 years that will likely be 13+. But AZ is fairly cheap by western hunting standards; $160 license and $15 application fee per species. By the time you buy the license you might as well throw in an extra $15 to get a point for deer too. The good thing about AZ is that only 20% of the tags are given to top point holders and the other 80% are random so even though odds are low, you have a chance at drawing almost any hunt.

Wyoming is $60 for an elk point. No license required. Their point requirements are pretty low for some decent hunts (even their general tag is better than most hunts). Word is they are going to reduce the NR allotment of tags in the future but with 10 years to build points you’d still be in good shape with only a $60/yr investment.

ID has no point system. So that’s my go to fall back plan and I only apply for a hint when I actually want to go hunting. Or their general licenses are OTC, but are capped. So you need to buy them early.

I call this my 3 prong approach:
Short term = Idaho
Medium term = Wyoming
Long Term = Arizona

I'll add that 8 points isn't 8 years. Find a way to come get your AZ Hunter Ed and that's a lifetime point. Apply five years in a row and get a loyalty point. So, 8 points is 6 years.

I would get points for elk in Az, Co, and WY. But also get deer points in all three plus Antelope in Wy. You’ll get to hunt every year you want.

Reactions: Zim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omcqueen
Back