0/10

I'm not a high fence guy, but dang maybe in your case I'd make an exception!

In all seriousness maybe look at doing a guided hunt. You would have a little better chance of filling a tag and also learn quite a bit hunting with someone with more experience.

Last edited:
I'm not a high fence guy, bug dang maybe in your case I'd make an exception!

In all seriousness maybe look at doing a guided hunt. You would have a little better chance of filling a tag and also learn quite a bit hunting with someone with more experience.
I have thought of that and am considering it next year. We’ll see though. If I do go that route, I’m going to Wyoming and using the guide as an excuse to get into the wilderness. Lol

last week of scouting was fairly successful. With the help of @steveshuntn1, I found some blind spots I think may be decent. I found quite a few acorn bearing trees and some bedding spots, so I think I will start there. Also ran into this….

Next week is the big dance.

Attachments

• 20448BB3-B902-4673-BDDB-D15D62752F1C.jpeg
    20448BB3-B902-4673-BDDB-D15D62752F1C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
Well this weekend was a wash. Had some chores yesterday that only let me go out on the evening. Someone was shooting a gun so it blew the area up. Stayed until last light regardless. Didn’t see a thing.

Woke up sick today with a cold. Can’t stay warm for the life of me. Regrouping and will likely be camping out next week.

Much more productive this week. Got out yesterday morning since we had our first cold snap. We were able to bump 3 does in this little opening in a patch of trees. I actually went full draw and had one at 62 yards, but she kept running off. Had she held still, it would have been curtains. I look around more and found maples and oaks everywhere. Also found a nice funnel corridor that has had a lot of activity. Marked it on my map and walked backwards out. That’s my new blind setup.

I have finally had my “ah-ha” moment during a whitetail hunt. I’ve wanted this feeling desperately for years and finally got it.

Two weeks away from the elk hunt as well as my dads mule deer hunt. Just sighted in my rifle this morning and it’s ready to go. Had some issues where more expensive bullets wouldn’t group well (who knew).

There is a slight fear that this whitetail hunt will not succeed. Life has taken another turn for me that may compromise the two firearm tags I have and was really looking forward to. Long story short, I may be moving out west. It’s been in motion since May and it’s getting much more serious now. This would be my last chance at a Midwest whitetail (I say last cuz lord knows I ain’t going back). So I’m taking this one much more seriously than the elk hunt.

And now we wait.

Things went from good to bad as they usually do with hunting. I found the honey hole last week. Unfortunately, someone in a tree stand felt the same way. Steve Rinella said it best. I love the guy and would have a drink with him at the bar right now. But today I hate him.

In the process of discovering my new drinking partner, I jumped two rabbits and found a fat squirrel. I had contemplations of taking one, and I should have, but backed out. I’ve had a curious thought lately about the taste of rabbits. I hear they go well with polenta and spaghetti sauce.

So my newly claimed hunting partner (my wife) and I went to scout some more in a different area. Found some sign but the wind got too bad. We ended up calling it for the weekend.

Taking next week off for the big dance in CO. Need to restock my backpack and rest up for the 1000 mile trek. Dad has a muley tag in a pretty good unit, I’m still playing the lottery but have a plan for an OTC unit.

After that trip, won’t be able to update much. My wife and I have house projects that must be done and will unfortunately take up a lot of weekends. Good news is i have time for my pheasant permits, then two gun tags for deer.

There’s still time. Just need one.

Tomorrow I raise anchor and embark on my 1100 mile journey to CO for my annual elk hunt. The past two weeks I was struggling to sight in my 300 WBY. The first day I struck my shoulder bone and couldn’t hold it together. My 30-06 was dead on so I had a backup. Last week I stopped being a candy ass and got the cannon zeroed at 100. Even shot prone with no issues.

I’m doing this hunt differently. I’m taking this as a time to learn how to hunt with a drawn tag. I’m in process of mental training to live out of my backpack, although we are truck camping. We’re out there for 8 days. Snow and high wind is expected two days before the opener. Then, sunny and dry for 5 days, then more snow.

Biology report suggests the herd migrates to the east to winter. I’ve been keeping a close eye on that neighboring west unit and they’ve had a lot of wind and snow. My plan is to start high and work my way down then back up and down one more time after the final snow. Of course, that plan will likely fall through the floor because of reason xyz. That being said, the real goal is to find elk. I really want to prove that I know how to e scout. If I shoot one, it’s a bonus.

I have the elk tag. Dad has the deer tag. We should walk away with something. Selfishly saying, I hope dad likes soup.

Tomorrow I raise anchor and embark on my 1100 mile journey to CO for my annual elk hunt. The past two weeks I was struggling to sight in my 300 WBY. The first day I struck my shoulder bone and couldn’t hold it together. My 30-06 was dead on so I had a backup. Last week I stopped being a candy ass and got the cannon zeroed at 100. Even shot prone with no issues.

I’m doing this hunt differently. I’m taking this as a time to learn how to hunt with a drawn tag. I’m in process of mental training to live out of my backpack, although we are truck camping. We’re out there for 8 days. Snow and high wind is expected two days before the opener. Then, sunny and dry for 5 days, then more snow.

Biology report suggests the herd migrates to the east to winter. I’ve been keeping a close eye on that neighboring west unit and they’ve had a lot of wind and snow. My plan is to start high and work my way down then back up and down one more time after the final snow. Of course, that plan will likely fall through the floor because of reason xyz. That being said, the real goal is to find elk. I really want to prove that I know how to e scout. If I shoot one, it’s a bonus.

I have the elk tag. Dad has the deer tag. We should walk away with something. Selfishly saying, I hope dad likes soup.
You both have got this! Good luck!

Yer gonna nail it. And your soup bowl will runneth over from all the meat that's gonna be in it. We believe, we believe, we believe!!!

Good luck! You got this!

yeah, I wonder about that two. Used to be a hunting license with habitat stamp was all you needed. Bigger question is where in Illinois is there a huntable population of pheasants. We used to drive up near farmer city back in the eighties and pheasants were all but gone from those areas back then.

yeah, I wonder about that two. Used to be a hunting license with habitat stamp was all you needed. Bigger question is where in Illinois is there a huntable population of pheasants. We used to drive up near farmer city back in the eighties and pheasants were all but gone from those areas back then.
Where I grew up people used to travel from quite aways to hunt pheasants back in the 70's last wild pheasants I saw was probably close to 30 years ago.

Good luck! Work hard, but have fun and try not to take it too seriously. I imagine you are taking vacation from work/family etc for this so try to enjoy it. I found when I started stressing about killing something my success didn't really change but my fun factor definitely went down. Looking forward to your report!

Your record looks like my archery record. I am going to strictly rifle hunt for a few years and maybe pick my bow up after having some rifle success. Keep on trucking… days in the field are the only way to get the skunk off you. Like they say can’t kill stuff from your couch.

Back