Well, my hunt is officially over. I had an awesome hunt and thanks for following along. The Wasatch unit is really cool. It is probably the thickest place I have ever hunted. I had numerous close calls and know I could have gotten into more elk if I had not hurt my knee of had been willing...
Yesterday was called because of too much rain and bad storms. I rested my knee. Today is my last day. It was quiet this morning with most of the bulls in private.
A significant issue I am running into is deer hunters. Almost every one of them has elk calls and “play with the elk” when they...
Against my wife’s protest and DR orders I went back out tonight. It was crazy. I watched a massive lightning storm move across Steawberry Resevior as I was heading back out. I got to the trail head and was hobbling up the trail. It was a real bad Idea that got much worse. About 300 yards up...
Today was crazy. I was in them very thick but the underbrush was thicker. I followed the morning herb for over and hour. I was never more than 70 yards from them but never saw more than feet. He was glunking and everything a bull should do. At one point I was on my hands and knees trying...
Real close right now. Split two herds. I can hear cows and the bull. If they go high, I am in good shape. Down hill breeze right now. They are less than 100 yards but I can only see 40 max. Sun is just coming up so hopefully something real soon
Well today was a bit of a roller coaster. This morning was a very rough one. We had bugles going off from the truck and we were about to start when two guys on horses came by heading straight up the canyon with the bugles. We decide to go high and the bugles quit with minutes as the horses...
Had a good night. We had a decent 320ish bull in range but passed to allow a young lady hunter have a shot. We moved into another herd but herd bull was a 5x5. A big 5x5 but not what I wanted to shoot. We were in elk from the moment we left the car until we left. As we were loading up to...
Well, sorry for the delay. We were in them good last night and this morning was nothing short of epic!
As we were hiking up, we had a group of elk below us and a very faint bugle above us.
We decided to go high. The bulls below us were going crazy but there were other hunters in the area and...
Slow night. We saw three elk and only herd a few bugles. We were in a total different area today. My buddy was not up for a big hike so…we went to a different area and had a short but very verticle hike. 2.5 miles but 800 verticle. Just some scenery pictures today.
We had massive rain day yesterday. We got into a good herd last night and into a rut fest this morning. We had this little 4x4 come in screaming looking for love. Kind of funny. We did see one big bull this morning but he was 500 yards away.
It was an extremely long one lastl night. We did a death hike (my terms) that was 7 miles and 1500 verticle.
We ran into moose and that was the first time I saw a missed fall. There were four, a big bull and three cows. The last cow tried to run up the bank and tripped. She fell and rolled...
Today was opening morning. Good to awesome hunt.
We had a bull bugling right by the truck but I was sure he was going to be scared off because of all the vehicles. We did a mellow 1.5-2 mile hike into a canyon.
We got there a had a nice 330-340 7x7 bugling. As we moved into about 200-300...