New Mexico Privatization. Nuthin like it

Also hugely beneficial to the non-hunting resident stakeholders, which significantly outnumber the amount of resident hunters.

(Not to mention extremely beneficial for the elk themselves, obviously).
What you are missing with this argument is there is likely a larger number of those non-hunters that would be against this program maybe the residents of new mexico should point out this fact to the non hunters that larger land owners are selling kill permits for a state owned resource to the highest bidder that likely gets killed on public land not on the ranch that the tag was issued to and see what happens?

Why would a NM non-hunter be against this? It brings a ton of money to the state economy and it greatly benefits the resource. What is the downside from their perspective?

What you are missing with this argument is there is likely a larger number of those non-hunters that would be against this program maybe the residents of new mexico should point out this fact to the non hunters that larger land owners are selling kill permits for a state owned resource to the highest bidder that likely gets killed on public land not on the ranch that the tag was issued to and see what happens?
That is something that is already happening and can be seen by local news coverage of the issue. However, as effective as I know that the would be I don’t think that is the most beneficial way for all. In a state that’s already lost trapping based on the public outcry after a single dog was caught off leash by a foothold along with items related to coyote hunting. I only see setting the precedent of getting the non hunting or ranching public involved as more long term harm than good. As we just saw in Colorado with the wolf vote or predator talks.

Why would a NM non-hunter be against this? It brings a ton of money to the state economy and it greatly benefits the resource. What is the downside from their perspective?
Nm is a poor state. There is extreme anti wealth sentiment especially in abq that would love to get on board with keeping wealth from exploiting the state. And that exactly how it would be framed.

The landowner in the areas with the elk is a minority although loud and well lobbied

Back