MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

UNIT 9 AZ LATE RIFLE HUNT

I can’t believe this hasn’t been brought up yet but shanking an expensive tent is a sure fire way to get some solid intel it seems…
Definitely a cheat code move….

I'm glad to see that things haven't changed around here in 20 odd years. Still a bunch of self-styled experts on human behavior. Oh, and a bunch of children. I wonder why I left and now I remember. Bobcat is still around in different form with different names. He wasn't that prolific. I don't think...

Masher, If you contact AZ Game and Fish, they may still have some unit 9 maps left. If you get one, send me a PM and I will pass along the info I have on Unit 9. [email protected]. We will be just south of you in Unit 8.

Last edited:
My advice would be to enjoy a week hunting hard regardless of the outcome: Residents are able to draw tags in these areas more often, these areas get a lot of hunters in archery season, it is my understanding the number of tags has increased for the late rifle seasons, and likely limited scouting opportunities. My teenage son had a tag just south of 9 last year for the late season (transferred from my dad who cashed in his points - a great program, btw). We found it very hard to get more than 1/2 - 3/4 mile from roads/2-tracks. I've always prided myself in getting away from roads - however, that was very difficult to do that where we were hunting. Also the weather was very mild for the most part so it was tough. We watched a two small herds of spikes moving through timber a couple days. Saw one decent bull jump out of a dark timbered coulee after dark on the last day as we were loading the UTV. I live in Montana and our expectations were tempered by being non-residents with limited scouting opportunities outside of my dad previously hunting there 20+ years ago - however, it was a great to have 3 generations of elk hunters (and my brother in law) for a week. I did see on some facebook groups where some nice bulls were taken out of the unit we were hunting so they were in there, but still in the high elevation areas and the dark timber (not surprising).

Most of your time should be spent glassing the junipers, these elk have been hunted for months and you will need to be glassing all the time trying to find them. They do typically move around at daybreak and dark. There will be a gobs of hunters and campers and they will be spooking and pushing the elk around. You will need to be able to shoot 500-1000yard shots unless you get lucky and stumble onto some. This is hard hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back