Caribou Gear

Buying binos sucks

Yeah I've spent a lot of time behind that exact setup. Marginally better than $900 Sigs handheld.

Only caveat is they're more comfortable to look through for greater than 30-45 minutes. I was dead set on a BTX/115mm setup but that's not even on my radar anymore.

Our fathers and grandfathers killed plenty of game with $50 binoculars.

We seem to get it in our heads that we need $5000 rifles, $2500 scopes, $2000 binos and $1500 clothes.

That being said, I am as guilty as the next guy as I have purchased all the above... 🥴 I don't kill any more game than when I hunted with less expensive items.

I’ve killed everything you can in Montana with old rifles and cartridges. I didn’t need Swarovski optics to find or shoot them. This is about good optics or better optics.

If you can’t tell the difference between top tier glass and bargain glass, don’t waste your money.

IMG_9376.jpeg100_0357.jpegIMG_1920.jpegIMG_4229.jpegIMG_1911.jpeg

The best glass is the most usable glass. I've always thought I would end up with Swaro NL Pures and a 115mm BTX setup. However, after seeing how darn useful my Sigs were, I never thought to reach for my partner's Swaro EL's or BTX setup. Those stayed put away and I used my Sigs exclusively pretty much, and he went back and forth between my Maven 15's on a tripod and his BTX (but only if we were going to glass a spot for a long time).

At one point I was trying to ID a Barbary Sheep/Cactus and couldn't do it with my Sigs. Couldn't do it either with my Mavens on a tripod, nor the Swaro ELs. The 95mm BTX *BARELY* was able to ID it. I think I paid under $900 shipped for my light and fast Zulus vs. the $6k BTX setup?

Alpha glass is only worth it if it's easier to use. And this image stabilization has changed the paradigm.
What model Sigs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alaska2Montana
Back