Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Bitterroot Mule Deer 261/270

Did you end up hunting the public at all? Seems like a lot of the big, good looking, private ranches are owned by people like Mildenberger or have out-of-state tax addresses both of which I feel like are not even worth the effort to ask.

I feel like smaller private land pieces aren't really worth asking unless its hunting season and you see a buck on the property right then.

Any thoughts on this?
I doubt you will gain access to any private land in 261 worth hunting. mtmuley

A lot of bucks killed in 261 before the spilt were taken in what is now 262. The split forced guys to pick a unit. Public was always tougher, and tougher yet now. The years haven't been kind to 261. mtmuley
Well, I think I still got a good shot at a big ole mountain buck. Better than a general unit anyway. Even if the unit was whole hunting the farmlands doesn't interest me much.

Those are some great deer and stories, thanks for sharing! The biggest buck I've ever shot was 145ish back in 2017(I think this was net but I can't remember). You guys should tell me what you think it would score.

I'm excited to see a higher percentage of mature bucks on this hunt, but like you, I'm not very good at judging "a high-scoring buck". I just like to shoot whatever buck makes me excited.

I ended up shooting a small buck last year because it had some cool non-typical points but really should have passed especially because it was the last day of the season. So with this tag, my main goal is to hold out and enjoy the hunt as long as possible and if it comes between eating my tag and shooting a 150-inch mule deer I'd rather just eat tag soup knowing I hunted hard till the end.
I wouldn't do that. Pick out one of the older bucks that can't grow a 4x4 rack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back