****OFFICIAL****2024 SPRING BEAR THREAD

Fiancée was looking at pictures last night and was like your big bear was in. Even I can tell he’s big lol
View attachment 325786
View attachment 325785
Hopefully this big guy steals that sow from the little bear when the time comes

I have a similar situation at my bait. Couple sows hanging out with smaller bears. June should be a fun time when the big boys start chasing all those sows.

Going out this PM for my first sit of the season. Not expecting much but I have time and the wind is right. Taking 4-5 days off late May/early June and will hunt hard then.

This year is my third year of spring bear hunting and until today I’ve yet to see a bear when the season was open. I had a goal of harvesting any legal bear that wasn’t too little…
So far this spring I haven’t put a lot of time in hunting because each time I go out I end up getting distracted by sheds or taking the family fishing. I decided the good weather this weekend was a good excuse to get out and do something.
After work today I made the short drive to where I’ve had zero luck finding bears but knew there had to be some there. I started walking at 5:03 and for the next hour I did a little walking and glassing. For reasons I’m still trying to figure out, I started experiencing an intense urge to pack it up and go home. It’s been something that hits me every couple times I go out the past few years.
As I fought the mental battle I decided to walk some timber that had been thinned out many years ago. Half looking for sheds and half pondering how to keep myself going, I heard a commotion to my left. I snapped my head around and saw a bear climbing a tree about 80 yards away! Half stunned I throw my pack off and start checking it out. I confirm it’s a black bear and solo. I take a quick video and creep a bit closer.

IMG_9036.jpeg

It been right at an hour since I parked my truck at this point. I walk to about 50 yards and get a good broadside shot. The bear hangs in the tree for a few seconds before crashing to the ground. At first I thought, smallish bear, but starting to think she’s solid. Sow measuring just over 5 feet. I had a friend look at her teeth and he was guessing up to 8yo. This hunt was a good reminder to stick it out, a hunt can change in a snap of a finger.

IMG_8992.jpeg
IMG_9034.jpeg

Last edited:
Checked out a new spot close to home yesterday. Encountered two bait stations in one drainage, and hounds in another. Bait guys said they had good activity and a few real good bears on their cameras. Hounds treed a big bear that day as well, we heard the whole thing happen from the next ridge.

So at least my e-scouting led me to a good area. But the bears are basically nocturnal with all of the bait and hounds around. Always show on camera about 20 minutes before legal light ends, and gone well before sunrise in the morning.

After talking with the hunters running bait, I am seriously contemplating giving it a try next year.

This year is my third year of spring bear hunting and until today I’ve yet to see a bear when the season was open. I had a goal of harvesting any legal bear that wasn’t too little…
So far this spring I haven’t put a lot of time in hunting because each time I go out I end up getting distracted by sheds or taking the family fishing. I decided the good weather this weekend was a good excuse to get out and do something.
After work today I made the short drive to where I’ve had zero luck finding bears but knew there had to be some there. I started walking at 5:03 and for the next hour I did a little walking and glassing. For reasons I’m still trying to figure out, I started experiencing an intense urge to pack it up and go home. It’s been something that hits me every couple times I go out the past few years.
As I fought the mental battle I decided to walk some timber that had been thinned out many years ago. Half looking for sheds and half pondering how to keep myself going, I heard a commotion to my left. I snapped my head around and saw a bear climbing a tree about 80 yards away! Half stunned I throw my pack off and start checking it out. I confirm it’s a black bear and solo. I take a quick video and creep a bit closer.

View attachment 325876

It been right at an hour since I parked my truck at this point. I walk to about 50 yards and get a good broadside shot. The bear hangs in the tree for a few seconds before crashing to the ground. At first I thought, smallish bear, but starting to think she’s solid. Sow measuring just over 5 feet. I had a friend look at her teeth and he was guessing up to 8yo. This hunt was a good reminder to stick it out, a hunt can change in a snap of a finger.

View attachment 325878
View attachment 325880
Congrats. Nice bear.

Last Monday I was hunting turkeys in a mountain location. Heard a " small" commotion as two cubs climbed a tree about 30 yards off. Heard a huff somewhere in the brush.
Let's just say I eased out of there in the opposite direction.😆

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malaskabound20032000@yaho
Back