How long did it take for your first elk?

Started elk hunting at 50 yrs old. Have hunted Kentucky once, Colorado twice and New Mexico once. All public land. Connected on a nice bull the third year, in New Mexico. Have learned a lot with a whole lot more to learn.

Shot a raghorn 5 days into my first year. More luck than skill. Was walking in to a place to glass and was taking a break and looked up on the hill side and the rag horn was staring at me broadside 80 yards away.

Hunted the archery season every weekend and with a few after work evening scouts/hunts and shot a bull opening weekend of rifle.

Was successful on the first two trips (one rifle & one archery). More dumb luck than anything.

Went 1st rifle in NW Colorado last year and never saw an elk.

I was able to tag out my first two years hunting. The first was absolute blind luck. The second was just regular luck.

Then 4 years of nothing 😅.

DIY public land elk hunting is very difficult, especially in spike units.

Three seasons. First season I passed on a shot at a cow. Second season I let my friend shoot a young bull, while standing next to him. The third season I shot a bull while by myself. All on public land.

First year. Hunted a general MT unit for archery. Had a bull @ 20 yards full draw, but there was a log blocking his vitals. Went back for rifle season and shot the same bull on a different ridge close by.

Back