Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Looking for hunting partner(s): Looking for a hunting partner for individual hunts/states or all around person/group to match up with

Was shed hunting in your area last weekend. Any interest to shoot at Land-o-Lakes this Spring?
Are you a member of the club? I generally shoot archery in my backyard or travel over to Cohoctah to rifle shoot at my folks 30 acres. I don't think I would join the club because of the 25hour commitment. I understand and appreciate the hour requirement as part of the dues, but just cant swing it to join an archery club. Let me know if I'm not interpreting the club dues correctly.

So my father is aging out of being able to accompany me out west each year and my children are too young yet. I'm looking for a hunting partner, essentially, for anyplace I can draw a tag; antlerless or antlered. The people I hunt with here in Michigan that are getting into western hunting are either too restricted on what they can and can't do (only 1st week of October, for example) or aren't interested in the variety of states, species, or hunts I'm willing to apply for (Only antlered elk, or no interest in pronghorn, etc.). What actually brings me to posting on this page looking for a hunting partner is the Utah antlerless draw that is open and not being able to find anyone who is a part of my hunting circle willing to apply for a doe or cow tag. My wife and family are fairly adamant about me not going solo into places without cell service (I'm also type 1 diabetic), even with an in-reach. I'm on board with my family's concerns and am now looking for someone to either share individual hunts/applications with or someone willing to apply to any and all locations that are willing to give a tag out.

A little about me:

38 years old. I became interested in western hunting after watching bigfin on oyoa and joining the forum in 2014 after getting a job/career that could support it. I received a lot of guidance and help over the years on this page both directly and indirectly from folks like @JohnCushman @BuzzH @mtmuley @Lawnboy @hank4elk @WapitiBob & Topgun (thank you all!), and a host of others, as recently as help with my first out of state turkey hunt from @cedahm and @Stocker . I've been learning more and more each year and keep expanding the number of states I apply in and the variety of hunts I apply for. Here are some more specific details about me and my hunting style:

• I currently apply in or have points in the following states, primarily for Elk, Deer, and Pronghorn:
    • Wyoming (too many to spend on general, not enough for most of the type 9s), Colorado(only a couple points), Utah(only a couple points), Nevada (just started this year on points), and Arizona (eligible for loyalty point next draw cycle and have my ethics point). I always apply for New Mexico and actually shot my first elk (and only elk, a spike that I shot on the 3rd day that I would have been happy with on the last day) in the Gilla on my first time applying in 2016.
      • I am open to apply in Idaho, but probably will never apply in Montana, Oregon, or Washington (though OTC, if any, isn't off the table)
  • I drive from Michigan to whichever state I'm hunting
    • My current Profession/Job (and Wife!) allows me a fair amount of flexibility so I can hunt during any open season for any open animal, and could probably swing up to two western hunting trips per year (I did my first hunt of the year already in Nebraska for turkey). I can be gone from work/home for up to 14 consecutive days
    • I am willing to drive to any state for almost any game animal. Although I doubt I would travel just for something like Javelina or Grouse/Pheasants. I'm also not really into bear or predator hunting.
  • I will go on at least 1 western big game hunt per year and if not successful with any draws will ALWAYS end up hunting OTC archery elk in CO.
    • I will hunt an early archery antelope tag in August all the way to an OTC Arizona deer tag in January
  • For elk, I prefer to hunt with archery equipment during the rut. But am open to any method of take or season with the lowest preference being muzzleloader. (Here in MI we use scopes and 209s so I'm not really interested in purchasing another muzzleloader)
  • I would prefer hunting in scorching hot temps over frigid cold but prefer middle to end of September in almost any location ;)
  • I normally will hunt from the truck everyday and have a variety of tent and camping setups, although I'm actively expanding my backcountry camping gear and will likely be able to do a backcountry hunt as soon as this year. (most recent purchase was a Nallo GT)
  • I don't drink or smoke(either), but am not opposed to anyone who does as long as it's at the end of the day and doesn't interfere with the ability to get up in the morning
  • I am open to do as much as apply & hunt & drive as a party(when applicable) all the way down to just sharing a camping spot so we can check in on each other at the end of each day.
  • I will usually always have a partner from Michigan to accompany me on a CO OTC archery if need be but would be open to coordinating any/all OTC options as well
  • While I don't have a spreadsheet to match @wllm or the memorized draw process like @WapitiBob I understand the nuances of the majority of the western state's draw processes.

Thanks for reading the long post if you made it to the end!
First post here. Live in NV. Been a deer hunter my whole life. Want to see the hype of an elk hunt. CO OTC in September this year near Montrose. Got a plan, gathering gear, practicing, been getting pretty good on the elk flute, for reasons that many have stated would be cool to have someone with a common goal. Have several friends that hunt but all of our calendars and draw results are a complete mismatch this year.

First post here. Live in NV. Been a deer hunter my whole life. Want to see the hype of an elk hunt. CO OTC in September this year near Montrose. Got a plan, gathering gear, practicing, been getting pretty good on the elk flute, for reasons that many have stated would be cool to have someone with a common goal. Have several friends that hunt but all of our calendars and draw results are a complete mismatch this year.
U hoping to catch one coming out of 61? ;) Get your post count up and PM me. Talk to you soon!

Back