Caribou Gear

Possible Change to Montana Unlimited Sheep

Great to e-meet you Jonas,

Our number one goal is to preserve the unlimited's for future generations. They are increasing in popularity and that will effect the long term viability.

The statement "quotas don't really matter" isn't exactly the case. The quotas are in place for good reason. The point, which comes from FWP, is that going over quota isn't a concern over the long term. We as hunters tend to focus on the short term and biologists see the long term picture. I've got some numbers I'll share as soon as I'm able to create a thread.

We've had this conversation with those who manage the unlimited units. The age class of rams is a non-issue nor is going over quota by two. 502 has been at or below quota many more years than it has gone over quota. I have the exact number but I'll have to dig it up.

This is the first I've heard of a wounded ram.

I can't speak for WSF. Not sure what situation you are referring to?

Bonus points, legal ram identification training for both hunters and FWP employees who are tasked with checking rams and shrinking the reporting deadline.

Appreciate the response, it will be interesting what comes up in the future with this opportunity. I don't think the UL's have evolved much over the 50+ years it's been going on. Besides enforcing a 7 year wait after a successful harvest.

There is a lot of factors out there, lately these past few years have had some very questionable calls and look the other way scenarios it seems. Ultimately I think that if the questionable things continue to happen it could be the beginning of the end in some cases.

Hopefully a well oiled and strongly assembled team can come together and make changes or become a voice for the continued existence of the opportunity.

We would love to hear it if you want message any of us or jump to that thread. A lot of those guys make me seem like a real moron so you’d get the best answer in the current thread. We all also understand you have your own opinions on the things and it’s not the wsf your speaking for
I'm new to this, what's the title for the current thread?

Welcome Ty! It was great talking with you on the phone about our proposal. You’ll find ample reading opportunity in the (currently) 61 pages of discussion that @Flatbrimmer linked in the post above mine. There’s no shortage of questions, answers and opinions there.

If I were king of Montana for a day:

Carpet bomb all domestic sheep and put bighorns in the Crazies, Big Snowies, and everywhere else they could possibly exist.

Moose, sheep, and goat are once in a lifetime. No exceptions.

If the quota in the unlimited districts is met the season closes at sunset. You need to check the quota every night.

Start deporting people from Montana.

October 1-20 mule deer season, no rut hunting.

Some of these are more realistic than others…
IMG_5344.jpeg.6ea97e9d8983c7c91a9abfb96a150d8e.jpeg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back