Caribou Gear

****OFFICIAL****2024 SPRING BEAR THREAD

Will send a tooth to Matson’s lab for accuracy but any guesses? I know of a couple very old sows that were in the 20 range that friends shot but this is a boar and I’m guessing the oldest bear I’ve ever taken.

I had a few random teeth/ages pop up last year on my FWP page. Wish they had the 10 year gap filled in because I didn't think this was my oldest. I doubt it was aged by Matson's but they came back w/ 21 years old on my last boar. No clue if that's accurate.
You know the spot.

1715092709106.png

Connected on a nice boar a couple of days ago. Not a giant but a good healthy size with a fantastic coat. He has a decent head on him and the most fat I've ever seen on a spring bear (win!). Pack weighed in at exactly 100lbs (including rifle) - my heaviest bear load. This was a classic cross-canyon bear hunt, which meant a super fun straight down and straight up to retrieve and then pack out. There was nothing remotely flat to cut him up on, we had to anchor to bushes and logs so as not to slide while working. FYI he was cruising hard for flowers on S-facing hillsides, it's game on!

IMG_2458.jpeg

IMG_2447.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2458.jpeg
    IMG_2458.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hunted for three days in south central Idaho. Saw 1,000+ elk, some deer, one cow moose, zero ticks, and zero bears.

Hunted low and high. All looked good. Going to need a new spring bear spot.
same, probably just too early for the area, or at least that’s my unofficial diagnosis for my hunt.

Connected on a nice boar a couple of days ago. Not a giant but a good healthy size with a fantastic coat.
Great job what date and rough location and elevation. You might get to start next year's official bear thread mid march so we can have 8 pages before a bear gets taken if got it before the photo shop bear. The meat pic is more convincing on that one but no story no bear.

Dandelions are popping up here so baits will slow down for about a week. Three small blacks tonight. Time to get caught up on house work keep the baits going and wait for the rut now

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back