Nosler AB LR 168gr bullets in a 280AI

I must have a slow lot or you have a fast one. Best I got was just north of 2900 with a 160 Accubond and 26” barrel. That stuff just collects dust on my shelf now.

I run 22 or 23 for 160 or above and N555 for 140’s and below.
Have you tried N555 with the 160 class pills? I’d think it would do ok. Thought about trying that if nobody buys my saum.

That's the problem.
It didn't mushroom.
Bullet sized hole going in, bullet sized hole going out.
Luckily, shock & hole in vital area brought it down.

The ABLR are supposed to mushroom starting at 1,300fps.
So a hit at 3,000fps should have opened up nicely.
But no.

Did you look at the vitals? Entrance and exit are only part of the story.

Have you tried N555 with the 160 class pills? I’d think it would do ok. Thought about trying that if nobody buys my saum.
I would have to look back thru all my old notes. I haven’t been down there in quite a while with this suburban project taking up most of my time.

That's the problem.
It didn't mushroom.
Bullet sized hole going in, bullet sized hole going out.
Luckily, shock & hole in vital area brought it down.

The ABLR are supposed to mushroom starting at 1,300fps.
So a hit at 3,000fps should have opened up nicely.
But no.
I know it is heresy around these parts, but I was really disappointed in the performance of the garden-variety Accubonds out of a .308 on a cow elk at about 70 yards. Two chest cavity hits, both projectiles came apart and penetrated very poorly. Piece of first round lodged in near side of the liver (based on the angle of the shot) and the squashed remnants of the other in the top of the heart. Finally put the cow down with a third round to the base of the neck.

I know it is heresy around these parts, but I was really disappointed in the performance of the garden-variety Accubonds out of a .308 on a cow elk at about 70 yards. Two chest cavity hits, both projectiles came apart and penetrated very poorly. Piece of first round lodged in near side of the liver (based on the angle of the shot) and the squashed remnants of the other in the top of the heart. Finally put the cow down with a third round to the base of the neck.
Huh. Bad box?

My family has shot a bunch of elk with accubonds. 257 Roberts, 270 Win, 264 Win Mag and 280ai. One was killed with an 308 but I’m not positive of the bullet. Range of 75 yards to 600 yards. Performance has been the same.

Our normal shot is a double lung punch, find the bullet on the inside of the skin on the far side. 50 yards is the normal travel distance after a shot. I’ve broken bull elk shoulders with them no problem.

Huh. Bad box?

My family has shot a bunch of elk with accubonds. 257 Roberts, 270 Win, 264 Win Mag and 280ai. One was killed with an 308 but I’m not positive of the bullet. Range of 75 yards to 600 yards. Performance has been the same.

Our normal shot is a double lung punch, find the bullet on the inside of the skin on the far side. 50 yards is the normal travel distance after a shot. I’ve broken bull elk shoulders with them no problem.
Could've been, but I figured I was just too close and the bullet impacted above max. ideal velocity. Photo below comparing an unfired 165AB and the fragment recovered from the heart weighing 87.9 grains (with some organic material still attached), for a weigh retention of about 53%.

This experience slightly soured me on ABs for elk but they are stompers for deer.

1715033222028.png

Not sure what happened but I've killed quite a few animals under 100 yards with an Accubond at 3200 fps muzzle velocity. mtmuley

Not sure what happened but I've killed quite a few animals under 100 yards with an Accubond at 3200 fps muzzle velocity. mtmuley
Well, my .308 certainly wasn't impacting at that speed. I dunno, then. Maybe those NM cows are just armor-plated. Or maybe I should've been toting a RUM 🤣

Well, my .308 certainly wasn't impacting at that speed. I dunno, then. Maybe those NM cows are just armor-plated. Or maybe I should've been toting a RUM 🤣
My kid shoots the 140 in a .270. Works great. Good buddy the 160 in 7mm Rem. Same. Loaded the 225 in .338 RUM. Deadly. Stuff happens sometimes. mtmuley

Could've been, but I figured I was just too close and the bullet impacted above max. ideal velocity. Photo below comparing an unfired 165AB and the fragment recovered from the heart weighing 87.9 grains (with some organic material still attached), for a weigh retention of about 53%.

This experience slightly soured me on ABs for elk but they are stompers for deer.

View attachment 325412
That looks like a fine job. It expanded up to the base where the copper thickening began.

That looks like a fine job. It expanded up to the base where the copper thickening began.
I would expect better than 50% weight retention and penetration at least through the chest cavity for any premium, bonded bullet. Again, lots of Accubond fans and it is a projectile that has no doubt killed a ton of game. I just had a suboptimal experience with them on one elk.

I would expect better than 50% weight retention and penetration at least through the chest cavity for any premium, bonded bullet. Again, lots of Accubond fans and it is a projectile that has no doubt killed a ton of game. I just had a suboptimal experience with them on one elk.
Then you should be shooting a partition.

308 with an amax 20 below 0 at 400 worked good.

Shot placement might not have been as ideal as you thought? Weight rentention is over rated....

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back