Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana General Season Structure Proposal

Challenge for counts via aerial is garbage for R1. Buzz has also referred to FWP 's failure to conduct surveys via aerial.

When I view counts for R1, almost every year they comment aerial unavailable due to maintenance and (or) flat out helo was unavailable - thus they base (gu)estimated counts primarily on volunteered response to answered calls during phone surveys.

At the same time, if people actually attend/listened to the past or current meeting, they (FWP) do not have funding issues...
Tell that to the underpaid Wardens, etc...

This is why it may sound as though this is not an issue - that's based on your impression from your area.

I wish I could watch/participate in these CACs, but like so many I'm busy on a Wednesday morning.

Most of the districts around where I live, there are no aerial surveys done for mule deer. When I asked about why this is, and how I think it is necessary, I was given the concern over cost and the difficulty in reserving plane/helicopter time. Reading some folks synopsis of the presentation, that doesn't seem to be so clear.

I found it interesting this morning as I was putting some applications in that the state I was applying for asked how I would like my application fee used. I believe it was something like for lethal predator management or habitat restoration. I choose the lethal option. Granted it was only 3 bucks a species but it all adds up

From the little bit I’ve watched , I get the feeling more that this mule deer committee is just a way for FWP to say look see we did something , but in the end they will saying something like the season structure is fine and everything is fine especially if we have another decent winter this next winter and fawn recruitment/deer numbers improve a little next year . I expect little to no changes.

Hey guys I’m not super excited about the short comment window and felt it’s was a sort of “ permission to speak”, which rubbed me the wrong way.

So I emailed the draft of this document to the region three director as well as up the chain.

Here bellow is the link to the contact information for your region office, of which I’ll be calling on my lunch. https://fwp.mt.gov/aboutfwp/contact-us

Use the drop down windows to fond the emails and phone numbers you need.

Cheers and thank you to all the work and care into these ideas.

From the little bit I’ve watched , I get the feeling more that this mule deer committee is just a way for FWP to say look see we did something , but in the end they will saying something like the season structure is fine and everything is fine especially if we have another decent winter this next winter and fawn recruitment/deer numbers improve a little next year . I expect little to no changes.
My thoughts too. It’s a “see we care”

I'd agree with that.

Sometimes I go down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole of what the end game is for FWP or who is currently controlling some of their decisions. Has anyone heard of how the department has been treating the bios lately? The department fought tooth and nail against any kind of meaningful raises for them during their last contract negotiations while handing out pretty generous raises to other departments. Our bios are already behind the curve when it comes to wages and are now being held down even more. I can't help but feel like they want to push all the bios out so they have an easier time doing what they want with season structures/quotas.

From yesterday:
My word doc I followed - Ramble points when delivering my public comment. I bumbled a bit as I ran into a typo (trying to read and fit w/ 2 minutes) though overall, I believe the comment was received. @Schaaf hit it out of the park! Well spoken and defined comments. He's a model speaker for our conservation efforts.

Thank you for the time to hear our public comments;

First, I appreciate each of you for your service on behalf of our great State. A valuable spread of great understanding and experience within our Mule Deer Citizen Advisory Committee who’ve dedicated time to take a long look at our mule deer management and it’s certainly time for some changes.

I’m also aware of a citizen group’s season setting proposal outside of the CAC and believe it compliments your efforts and a most certain improvement over the current status quo.

As a resident of Columbia Falls, R1 area, a few thoughts to add and (or) echo sentiment:
  • Michigan, Utah, New Mexico, - on and on have a version of mandatory harvest reporting. From a $150 charge to for next year’s license to no tag if no hunter report from the previous year. It should be part of our agreement to gain our hunting R / NR license. This information is incredibly valuable biological research material for population, pressure, area, quality, etc
  • If funding is present, it would be great to hear R1 has operational aerial surveys versus continuous aerial survey maintenance issues shared on the annual population estimates.
  • I believe removing the muzzleloader season after general rifle would reduce continued pressure on mule deer and other ungulates.
    • In exchange to retain a needed Montana value for the heritage of hunting and to soften the transition from archery to general rifle and the trend of technology:
      • Remove the last week of archery and make it a traditional recurve / Long bow.
      • Remove the first week of general rifle and make it a traditional muzzleloader.
Thank you for your time. Biological intent to best increase our wildlife value for our future generations.

I'm not finding the zoom call for the CAC meeting online. Can I still view online today? Could someone forward me the link? Thanks

I'm not finding the zoom call for the CAC meeting online. Can I still view online today? Could someone forward me the link? Thanks

This harvest reporting really annoys me. Why couldn’t fwp program in their licensing portal when you log in a simple questionnaire to answer that would gather way more data than their cold calling and check stations.

#1 did you hunt deer in Montana last year?
A. Yes
B. No

#2a Did you harvest a buck?
A. Yes
B. No
C. N/A
#2b Did you harvest a whitetail
or mule deer
A. Mule Deer
B. Whitetail deer
#2c How many days afield did you spend
#2d What district did you harvest your buck?
#2e. Was harvest on private land or public land
A.Private
B. Public

#3a Did you harvest a doe?
A. Yes
B. No
C. N/A
#3bDid you harvest a whitetail or mule deer
A. Mule deer
B. Whitetail
#3c How many days afield did you spend
#3d. What district did you harvest your doe
#3e. Was harvest on private land or public
A. Private
B. Public

Have a tab to select multiple doe tags

That would be pretty simple and fast to fill out and gather lots of data

From what I heard when dialed in sounded like very good dialogue for the most part. I think it's time for major changes and we're past the point of minor changes producing any results. No need to re-invent the wheel, most states do things we could borrow/tweak from their ideas. Wyoming does a pretty good job at season setting, mgt, etc.. The proposal from the MT Conservation Society was excellent. Utah does a great job with hunter reporting/surveys. From their website: https://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/main-hunting-page/harvest-reporting.html

All big game species have mandatory reporting requirements — even if you didn't harvest an animal. Not completing your harvest report in a timely manner can impact you in several ways:

• It can affect your ability to hunt or get a bonus or preference point in the next year's hunt drawing.
  • You will need to pay a $50 late fee after the 30-day reporting window in order to be eligible for next year's big game and antlerless applications. (This fee will be waived for the 2024 buck deer and bull elk general-season hunts; see further information about this requirement, below.)

Questions on theirs from hunt last year. You can review all your historic reports, etc.
Survey one.JPG
Survey two.JPG

From what I heard when dialed in sounded like very good dialogue for the most part. I think it's time for major changes and we're past the point of minor changes producing any results. No need to re-invent the wheel, most states do things we could borrow/tweak from their ideas. Wyoming does a pretty good job at season setting, mgt, etc.. The proposal from the MT Conservation Society was excellent. Utah does a great job with hunter reporting/surveys. From their website: https://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/main-hunting-page/harvest-reporting.html

Questions on theirs from hunt last year. You can review all your historic reports, etc.
View attachment 325601
View attachment 325602
*how many animals did you wound*

A gross but also necessary question.

Nice job to the guys that commented, thank you for making the time to do that. I’m glad that Craig guy spoke up at the end, good stuff.

Reactions: DFS
I appreciate the time and effort that the CAC put into this. Hopefully something good will come out of their time spent doing it. Mixing threads a little bit but I can see where things are headed without major changes. FWP certainly isn’t going to save things.

Especially in my region.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back