NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Is rock climbing compatible with Wilderness designation

I worked on a trail crew in the Gospel Hump Wilderness for a summer. Every year, my boss and several permanent fire employees float the Salmon River early in the season. During this time, they try to clear as much trail as possible using chainsaws. There is a clause that allows them to use chainsaws early in the season in the Frank Church Wilderness, but can't later when hikers are more common to preserve the wilderness experience. Without that a lot of the trails would fade away like they had in a lot of the areas I worked.
Wow! Chainsaws? I know that is available for smokejumpers/hotshots though trail crew? Maybe mistaken or some unique clause to Frank Church Wilderness? I worked trail crew in Bridger-Teton a couple seasons (back in the day) and it was horse packed crosscut only.

I worked on a trail crew in the Gospel Hump Wilderness for a summer. Every year, my boss and several permanent fire employees float the Salmon River early in the season. During this time, they try to clear as much trail as possible using chainsaws. There is a clause that allows them to use chainsaws early in the season in the Frank Church Wilderness, but can't later when hikers are more common to preserve the wilderness experience. Without that a lot of the trails would fade away like they had in a lot of the areas I worked.
I'd be willing to bet that your old boss was making that up. If I had to guess at his motivations it would be that he could clear more trail quickly with a chain saw and get away with it at a time of year when there were fewer eyes and ears to catch them.

theres like week or two they're allowed to do it along the salmon river. All the perms were there, nothing illegal

I'd be willing to bet that your old boss was making that up. If I had to guess at his motivations it would be that he could clear more trail quickly with a chain saw and get away with it at a time of year when there were fewer eyes and ears to catch them.
Yes, doubtful there is a trail clearing chainsaw provision for that wilderness. Likely he just did it since he never got caught.

The only other instance I'm aware of was in 1965 when a friend worked in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, rebuilding the stock bridges which had been washed out by the catastrophic 1964 flood of the Sun River. The old Swedish bridge builder was the only guy who had the experience and expertise to reconstruct those bridges. He essentially ignored the "no-motors" wilderness rule and employed a generator, hoist, and power tools in the Bob to reconstruct those important bridges. Materials and equipment were ferried in by helicopter.
My friend worked all summer and into October on those bridges during a very memorable college-days work period for him.

Idk this wasn't some secret thing he talked about I'm pretty sure his bosses were there on the trip too.

Minimum tool for the administration of the area as wilderness relates to firefighting. Minimum tool use for simply clearing trails is far from chainsaws. Though...

meh, further review; Event that was shot down...

USFS representative said that we should be seeking Minimum Tools Analyses for collaring projects where there is a likelihood that animals will spend part of the year within wilderness boundaries

Wow

Minimum tool for the administration of the area as wilderness relates to firefighting. Minimum tool use for simply clearing trails is far from chainsaws. Though...

meh, further review; Event that was shot down...

Different area, different forests

If you have limited pack stock usage and limited employees I can see the argument for chainsaws as a minimum tool for management. When I asked him if they were building drains and fixing washouts he said that you can't get recreation rangers and fire people to get excited about that and that there was no time. It was simply about keeping trails open.

can't get recreation rangers and fire people to get excited about that and that there was no time.
That is why wilderness foundations, Continental Divide Trail system, and other groups solicit volunteers and plan trail maintenance projects each year. My experience has included support from USFS in packing in the hand tools and food to the work/campsites.

The reason I know this wasn't my bosses 'trick' at getting his work done while no one was around is that we worked in an adjacent Wilderness area, not in the Frank. This are not trails he was responsible for as a the trails guy, he had a different area entirely.

We used all hand tools unless we were outside the boundary. There were times we camped for 9 days on a main east west junction on a hitch and never once had a hiker come through though. Beautiful weather the entire time too.

I would never describe my old boss as too lazy for crosscuts. He was animal. Also heard him bitch about seeing where hunters had made cuts with a chain saws to clear an area for a wall tent and listened to him rant about illegal snowmobile use.

Interesting article here. I’ve never thought about this. My initial take is that regulating rock bolts is a bit too far, but I know almost nothing about climbing.

What say you?

Rock climbing should be illegal,as they leave junk attached to rocks that destroy the beauty of the mountains,just like offroading.

Rock climbing should be illegal,as they leave junk attached to rocks that destroy the beauty of the mountains,just like offroading.
maybe I'd start with all the ski resorts on public land lol seems like there's a laundry list of things that are more impactful

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bill the Packer Fan
Back