Caribou Gear Tarp

How deep are the lakes in your area?

D

Delw

the lakes here in az run from 100 feet deep to 300 maybe more on the colorado river.
Just curious to how you guys back east fish in shallow water.

And how deep do you fish in thse lakes?

I fish anywhere from 40 feet to 6" here, our lakes have huge drop-offs that go out 6 feet and drop 40-120 feet,most of the lakes are all rocky with cactus and some wood in the but nothing like whats in other states.
The water is mostly clear sometimes down to 20 even 30 feet(except when we get a storm). Most of the lakes here in AZ dont have rivers that feed them year round, but rather washes that runoff the mts. and hills during the monsoon in aug. and the fluctuation of water over a years time could drop around 120 feet in depth.

Would like to here your answers

Delw

The lakes here are pretty much flat with deep holes scattered.I would say most lakes are in the 15-30ft range with shallow spots and deeper holes that can range from 30-60ft and sometimes deeper.Of course in some lakes that are only 10' a 20' hole is deep.Most of the holes are active or dried up springs.some holes are natural drains the flow into the Floridan Aquafer(our water supply)

the shorline can be 2-4 feet for 30-40 yards out then drop into a 10-20' ledge.You have to remember that 90% of the lakes in Florida are ancient sinkholes.There are two lakes I know of that are perfectly round that are over 150' deep and have no shallow spots,they go straight down.

We fish them pretyy much the same as you would.fish the drop offs,ledges or banks when there in prespawn.The bass will hang on a lesge that is only 2-3ft deep.

Wow a lake here in desert that was only 5-20 feet deep would be 120º by the first month of summer.
Fishing in a shallow lake like that could be for some fun fishing though. ya wouldnt have to boat 5 miles to a hot spot(or would you).

Delw

The Great Lakes can reach depths well over 1000 ft. but the average is around 150-200.

As far as local inland lakes, most are from 20-60 ft.

[This message has been edited by yooper (edited 01-29-2001).]

DELW the shallow lakes get warm,maybe up to 80dgr in the summer.You have to remember most lakes are spring fed here and then drain naturaly back down.The springs might be slow but they keep the water clean and cool.right now alot of lakes have dryed up,now we all know which ones aren't spring fed.

Just down the road a 100acre+ lake was drained over night by a sinkhole that opened up in it.The lake is bone dry now with a dirt bike track running through it.

like shane said our lakes are very shallow and water temperature is very important to consistent strings of fish!!!

del, everywhere else most people look for the "hot spots" we look for the "cold spots".
my favorite type of fishing in shallow central fla. lakes is top-water at night, yeah ha!! having a nice bass bust a top-water plug close to the boat will get the addrenaline flowing!

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

our lake this year was 87 degrees at least that what my temp gauge said. I remember once it read 90 and I thought it was a mistake. that night the fishing was hot I bet i caught 100 bass 2-8lbs in 6 hours.

Delw

Back