Caribou Gear

How close is too close?

We’ve reached the point where no matter where you’re at you will be on someones trail camera so you better make sure you’re not 25’1” away when you shoot. The CSI guys will know if you’re not telling the truth. Also better make sure you clearly inform the bear of your intentions if it does not comply. Either way the Bear Lives Matter people are gonna be a pain in the a$$ afterwards so make sure you carry bear protection insurance. We have plans starting at $9.99/month which will give you the peace of mind…

If you don’t have your defense in your hands at the time of the charge, your chance of survival are greatly diminished..

I’ve never been charged by a grizz. A few of my friends have been charged by grizz. They all say the same thing, pistol or spray doesn’t matter if it’s not in your hand and ready when the charge occurs.

One of the best tools in my bear tool box was an acme thunderer whistle. After 20 years seeing bears on a daily basis I found it more useful than warning shots. Actually after firing dozens of warning shots I found the whistle much more effective in changing their direction. A warning shot is just another loud scary noise And a bear that has been shot and survived in the past, very likely wont ever get close to you. IF gun fire / dinner bell theory is to be believed your warning shot just convinced the bear he needs to come eat what you just shot. I also kept one of those air horns that ass hats behind you at the ball game use, in my boat. It worked well when a bear followed us back to the boat. Also kept one in the tent when camping along streams.
At about 50 yards we would gather up and quit fishing. At 25, if he is still coming our way, we’ve moved, waded across or climbed the river bank onto the tundra kind of thing. If they turned and followed and the whistle didn’t work they get sprayed. Only had to shoot one in 20 years guiding, four over my lifetime.
Wish I had kept a journal; Warning shots worked sometimes, typically on bears that had no idea we were there and got real close before we knew he was there.
Whistle worked better particularly on bears that had gotten within 25 yards knew we were there kind of thing. Could be it worked better because it worked initially so I decided to save ammo, but it turned most of the bears I used it on. Also handy as I doesn’t interfere with running a handgun.
Spray worked dozens of times, never worried about the wind when I had to use it. Moving 90 degrees from where the bear last saw me seemed to keep me out of the cloud that may have come back.
Absolutely convinced two of the bears we killed when I was younger would have been turned if we had spray then.
Guiding I always had the whistle, spray and either a 454 or a long gun. Getting the hell out of their way worked better than anything else.
photos from Margo creek, the home of misfit bears. He was about 25 yards when he caught lunch.
Excellent advice from someone who encountered brown bears over 20 years of summer fishing!
Unlike Kodiak brown bears, where a shot may mean a gut pile,
the interior grizzlies I've encountered seem to ignore a "warning shot" maybe they think it is close thunder?
I've also seen Dall rams and caribou ignore a rifle shot. Back in the day, we would shoot a double on caribou
where the herd would stand after the first killing shot and even with 2 dead bulls, casually walk away.

When we killed the one coming in the cabin we called the troopers in the morning. You would have thought we were reporting a vehicle with a flat tire for all the interest they showed:) I can only imagine what it would be like in Montana to shoot a grizz.

The one I had tapping the walls of the tent was close. Another one went in the door of the wall tent that was the cook shack. He made a new door in the back.

My first, with able support from both my parents, was up at Paxsen lake outside of Ft. Wainwright Alaska. We were camped in one of those army tents, center ridge pole kind of thing. 1960 I was six. Shot that bear right between the eyes as he came through the door with my Steven’s rolling block 22. For some reason mom and dad thought they should shoot too. This one took a 300 WM right up the snout at bayonet distance.

Attachments

• IMG_0326.jpeg
    IMG_0326.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I imagine at 20-30 yards, a warning shot would more than likely change the bears mind.
In my experience I haven’t found “warning shots” to be effective on cabin raiding black bears. Bean bags work, but they could have cared less about a round fired off over their head.

That sow on meateater was the perfect example of a bluff charge. Head held high, moving slowly, basically prancing. She would have turned and ran without a shot going over her head. I’m not saying I blame them, maybe I would have tried it too, but I wouldn’t expect it to work.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back