Fly Tying/Fishing Thread

What are your guy’s favorite streamers?

I’ve probably had the best luck getting fish to chase and eat a sparkle minnow in sz 4 or 6, on both sunny days and cloudy days. I landed a pile of browns from the boat a couple weeks ago and it seemed they highly preferred the sparkle minnow over anything else we threw at them.

I need to fish black more but it always seems to be at the bottom of my batting order from a confidence standpoint.
Coming in late on the answer for this, but I like big articulated flies. Preferably with a deceiver style back end, and either a muddler head, or a stacked bucktail front half that gives a very tall/thin profile. Either one can give some funky movement in the water, and you will be shocked at how small a trout will hit 4-6" of fur and feathers.

End of the day, I don't have a favorite, so much as I have favorite actions/profiles for different water conditions. Dunno if I have any pictures atm.

I got a Wheatley as a present when I was a kid (squashed it when I took a nasty spill…) and liked the little compartments instead of strips. Took a stab at something similar this weekend, which I think will work fairly well. Individual bins won’t have covers but shouldn’t be a problem unless it’s stupid windy.04E30C9F-BB7A-48FF-9504-1873AFF1CD38.jpeg

Great lookin flies! I’ve been tying some PTs as well lately. This one is a fly I have good luck on lakes with. The body is a mix of PT and turkey tail feathers giving a small light/dark contrast. Our local fisheries have really been heating up lately and fishing phenomenally.

View attachment 323293
Pheasant tails are white hot in WY right now. My favorite fly.

Reactions: Hem
What kind of tackle are you guys running? I’m trying to go as little as possible. I have a box of flies with a good assortment of wet, emergers and dry flies, two rolls of tippets, extra leaders, cork and yarn strike indicators in a small fly cup, pliers, knife, net, leader straightener (or whatever you call it) spare pole and reel, and the float powder stuff. I have it all in a pole case with two pockets. I don’t really see me going back to my backpack for extra stuff which is nice. Could probably do without the spare pole, I don’t really ever use it but you never know….

I’m going backcountry fishing some time this year and want to make sure I’m not missing anything essential.

What kind of tackle are you guys running? I’m trying to go as little as possible. I have a box of flies with a good assortment of wet, emergers and dry flies, two rolls of tippets, extra leaders, cork and yarn strike indicators in a small fly cup, pliers, knife, net, leader straightener (or whatever you call it) spare pole and reel, and the float powder stuff. I have it all in a pole case with two pockets. I don’t really see me going back to my backpack for extra stuff which is nice. Could probably do without the spare pole, I don’t really ever use it but you never know….

I’m going backcountry fishing some time this year and want to make sure I’m not missing anything essential.
I think you about got it covered. I used to be a guy that went to the river with way too much stuff and I’ve really narrowed it down to the bare basics in a fanny pack lately. I tie so much that I’ve got more flies and boxes than I can count but really only pack a couple boxes.

Don’t forget a good assortment of different sized splitshot (difference between a bad day and a great day nymph/streamer wise can be a splitshot or two). I just pack cheap water gremlins in different sizes.

When you say only 2 rolls of tippet, you might be a little short there just on size variation, I like to carry from 0-X down to 6-X, but in the back country you’d be good with probably 3X-5X. (A cheap tippet hack is 4lb Seagur InvizX, this is my go-to for nymph fishing all sized rivers and I fish it as a 5x, has the same diameter as most high end 4.5X, comes in a 200 yard spool, supple and durable and fishes more like a forgiving 6lb, have caught some really big fish on this stuff, roll it up on an old tippet spool for packing around so you don’t have to pack the large spool, you can also pick up the next 2 sizes up which will have a diameter similar to a 3X and a 2x and be pretty well set.)

I had a busy day yesterday, teaching a father and his 2 son's to fly fish, after 3 hours to they had picked up the basics, off came the wool on went the flies.....damn it took a while for me to figure out what they were rising to, the obvious was a huge caddis hatch, but no it was a small olive, so a size 18 para Adams did the trick.

Attachments

• IMG_20240507_151436160_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240507_151436160_HDR.jpg
    921.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240507_142810091_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240507_142810091_HDR.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240507_130818992_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240507_130818992_HDR.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 3
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts