Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Elk Caliber and Bullet Choice - 2024

I have too many options, but the top contenders would are:

- 338 RUM shooting 285 gr ELDM or the new 245 HHT
- 7 SAUM shooting 175 Berger
- 6.5 PRC shooting 140 hybrid

I'll be hauling around my 6.8 western with 175gr sierra handloads. 3rd season with it and its my go-to for pronghorn, mulies and elk. Great all around setup for me and the kids.

Probably grab which ever rifle hasn't killed an elk yet, but I never know until I leave and hopefully pack the correct ammo. That said, if the Utah draw gods look kindly down at me it will be a Traditions 50 cal with Barnes 290 T-ez, or maybe a 338 Federal for Utah cow, or maybe the 7PRC with AH 155's for Wyoming cow, will be carrying the Traditions for elk here. Hopefully I will draw a tag or two so I have choices.

I was lucky to draw a Montana Big Game tag, and I think that based on trigger and accuracy, I'll take the Browning Mark3 BAR in .300 Wm with Federal Premium 180gr Trophy Copper, and as a backup rifle the Browning Safari Mark2 in .338 WM with Hornady 230gr Prec Hntr. Also bringing the M77 LH in .25-06 for mule deer. All shooting less and 1" groups.

300wsm with 165 gr Grand Slams.
Going to have load up some more rounds, we have some access in one of the unlimited cow license areas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriel Knight
Back